Tuesday, August 12, 2014

More Plans and Projects


Market List

Heirloom tomatoes, Sassy Summer Greens, Lamb, Salsa, Pickles, Purslane,

Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans and Tomatillos. 


This is my neighbor Rusty and if you look carefully his 2 granddaughters. Most Fridays these 3 show up to help. Mostly the girls help by keeping me sharp. "Sam what's this? Why do you do it this way?" Sometimes they help pick, "is this one good?, is this one good?, is this one good?". Last week Jessie taught them about purslane. They followed us around eating and telling us it tasted like salsa...HA. It's really good, and good for you, but Salsa it ain't.
Rusty helps me with so much. Like me, his back makes it hard to work for anyone else. While he can do stuff, he can't do it on someone else's timetable. He does "stuff" and then has to rest and then maybe later, he can do some more "stuff".
 The things he can do are different than
the things I can do, so between us, we get a bunch done. Like me Rusty likes to be busy. It's funny how the people who like to be busy are the ones that end up being forced to slow down. He is responsible for my being able get most lambs to the processer and right now he is plowing my field.
 You all know that there is much to do here and I am just to short to use the tractor even if I had the time. I decided a couple of weeks ago to plant a field that is mostly empty in sunflowers, 2 kinds of turnips, (Pasja and the easily recognized Purple Top) and Crimson Clover to feed the soil. Every fall we turn the sheep out in this field. During the summer I keep them out because I have some perennials for cut flowers and I've recently planted some berries out there. The fall, when they are turned out it will be to these crops instead of just grass.
I chose Pasja because it's be the supposed to be the fastest Non GMO growing animal fodder on the market. While doing my research, I found that up until the 1950's turnips were the main source of animal fodder and then for some reason the tide turned to corn. As you know, all commercially raised corn is now GMO along with soybeans, beets and from what I understand everything, as we discussed last year except for Milo. For some reason Milo has resisted the Genetic Modification. Sad to know, in some field trial somewhere, someone is being paid to figure out how to alter this crop when no one who is buying it wants it modified. AHHHH....Freedom.
The next project will be getting the fence up that was financed by the grant from Slow Foods for St. Croix Sheep. We're running a bit behind on this with all the "working out of state' business, but it will be accomplished before end of market season. We had a volunteer but he has disappeared so it will be just us again.

There will still be tons of Sunflowers at the Market and Finally we are getting enough tomatoes after salsa(and what I get to eat) to bring to market- Cour Di Bue, Black from Tula, and Triefle. This will be the last week for Becca at the market. She is headed off to college and I will sorely miss her.  Courtney whom you have seen this season at the market is taking her place, she is doing a great job.

Listen for the call...
L E M O N A D E...Ice Cold Lemonade.

TTFN,
 
God's Blessings for you and yours.
 

Sam and Bill

No comments: