Thursday, May 3, 2018

It's All Ducky

Market List
Sassy Salad Mix with Lettuces, Spinach, Arugula, Chard, Beet,
Lambsquarter, Mache',Mizuna and Kale, 
Egyptian Walking Onions, Scallions and Tomato Plants
Non GMO Chicken and Slow Food Cayuga Duck Eggs

So here's the shot I promised of the ducklings that my Hen hatched out. They are still a little hard to see but she is doing a really good job and they are already getting big. 


It was a strange week for ducks around here. First the hen hatched out these guys, then the goose broke all the duck eggs that we put under her. They just didn't mesh with her goose eggs she had planned and laid out. 
But then, I was standing at the store and the cashier was complaining about someone dumping some ducklings at the city park in Union. It really caught my attention because she said they were black ducks and as you know we raise black ducks. There are only a couple of breeds of black ducks really. So I got some particulars from her. She they had been dumped out the day before and one had already disappeared. I legged it down to the park just to see and there was for sure a little black duck, probably 5 weeks old, not even feathered out yet, nearly still all down swimming around by itself. I took a piece of bread out there which it ate out of my hand on the second bit and I dropped a couple of more bites and snagged it up.

Poor little guy, it was really tame. The extra strange thing about it was that it was the same kind of duck that we raise, it's a Cayuga. It's strange because they never sell those ducks in the farm stores, you have to special order them. A few weeks ago a couple customers brought some ducks out to us that they had raised as a treat for their granddaughter. Responsibly, they knew that they wanted her to have this experience but they knew they needed to find a home for them when they were done. They arranged with me ahead of time to take these ducks in and if it hadn't been me, they would've found another home for them not just dumped them out like what happened with this duck and it's sibling. So I put this one with those, they're probably 2-3 weeks difference in their ages and they are all younger than the rest of my flock. They were happy to let it hang out with them and they are all enjoying the rain today.


We've got about 3 or 4 more varieties of tomato plants coming Saturday. Cherokee Green, Black Plum, and Paul Robeson. Maybe a couple more, all grown in Organic Potting mix.
I probably am sending Becca my niece who used to work the booth before and Cortney. Bill and I have been so sick, I'm going to try and take a week off from the public, just stay home and plant some stuff. Stop by the booth though and make sure that the girls are behaving themselves. That's the plan anyway. We'll see how it will pan out. That's the plan anyway. Supposed to be a beautiful day Saturday which is why I'm sending them. Come get some of St. Louis' best Lemonade. 


Gods' Blessings on you and yours,

TTFN,

Sam, Bill, Becca and Cortney

No comments: