Thursday, April 16, 2015

Life on the Farm

John Denver said "Well Life on the Farm is Kinda Laid back". Well I don't know what farm he was on, but it wasn't this one. It's that time of year that I usually make a joke about Sheep Boot Camp 101. Lots of new lambs who don't know which pasture is the right one, ewe mom's who just want the grass in the next one so that they can make plenty of milk for the lambs. Add two new dogs and our German Shepherd tornado, a new pasture compliments of a Slow Food grant and it gets pretty frustrating sometimes. Seems like I no more get to the greenhouse than I have to run back out and run somebody out of somewhere.
Bill is still working hard on the new high tunnel which we have about half planted and Saturday while I am at the Tower Grove Market, Mike Brabo from Vesterbrook farm will be bring over some people to help Bill get the garden tilled and some new raised beds made.
This market will bring a lot of members of the Allium family. That's the fancy Latin name for onions and garlic. I will have Garlic greens, Shallot Greens, Egyptian walking onions and maybe some Ramps if I have time to dig them. Bill just rolled in so I will have some help tomorrow. Maybe it won't be so stressful. We have some nice looking tomato plants even if they aren't huge yet. They are grown in organic potting mix and Route 66 compost. I won't have all of the varieties with me but I will have some Japanese Black Triefle, Green Copia, Mortgage Lifter, Arkansas Traveler, Black Plum and probably a few others. Before it's all over with, you will see, Paul Robeson, Green Zebra, Thai Pink Turtle Egg, Amish Gold which I am pretty excited about, Black from Tula(of course) Purple Carbon, Black Krim and more. It's late, I can't remember them all.
I have plenty of Grass Fed Lamb, chops, steak, stew, ribs, still have some burger left.
The ducks have been laying like crazy and we got a couple of new Chickens. Myself and a few others are praying that the rain will hold off until after noon on Saturday, both for the market and the garden building. If so, look forward to a TG market tradition of Organic Green Tea with Jasmine and Robins local Honey. Also, listen for the call of Lemonade, Ice Cold Lemonade!

God's blessings on you and yours,

TTFN,

Sam and Bill

No comments: