Thursday, May 31, 2018

Tomato Planting Time



Market List:

SuperFood Salad Mix, 
Purslane, Swiss Chard, 
Green Onions, Tomato, Pepper and Herb Plants, Grass Fed Lamb, Lambsquarter for cooking,

GARLIC SCAPES AND
 SNOW PEAS











So last week I came home from the Market to the raised, shaped beds in the garden and Monday we started putting up the tomato fences. We grow the tomatoes on cattle panels and rolled rebar. It keeps them up off of the ground and the vines are ran through the squares. It takes a little bit of time to get them up but once they are, it's smooth sailing. The beds are 40 inches wide. Each side of the bed, the tomatoes are planted 2 ft. apart and 2 ft. across from each other. Weed fabric goes in between the rows which is opposite of the way most farmers do it. Most like to lay the fabric over the beds and cut holes into it to plant the tomatoes into it. I tried it 2 years that way but I was just not satisfied with this. I like to grow Flowers and Herbs in between my rows and I just didn't think that I was able to get the tomatoes in deep enough. So last year we started reversing it. 
At this point, we have Early Girl, Lemon Boy, Japanese Black Trifele and Cherokee Green in the blocks and beds around the Greenhouse with fruit on them. In the new garden rows we have Azoychka Russian, Bradley, Pink Girl, Rutgers, Pork Chop, Vintage Wine, Pantano Romanesco, Chocolate Chestnut, Sugar Plum, SunSugar and Snow Fairy. Still left to plant we have Arkansas Traveler, Black from Tula, Paul Robeson, Purple Carbon, Caspian Pink, Violet Jasper, Chocolate Cherry, Washington Cherry, Black Plum, Black Krim and more. I can't think of all of the rest. 
I think this will be a fab tomato year. I know all you salsa fans are hoping this will be the case. We've got some tennis ball size tomatoes already. This is super unusual for this time of the year and outside to top it off. 

Saturday will be 90 again. It's for sure a crazy Spring. We'll see you @tgfarmersmarket. Don't forget that in 2 weeks we will have a long Market, a Festival on June 16th. We will probably be having a Lemonade promotion at our booth but I personally am hoping for Bloody Marys. I know that there will be beer and food trucks, way more than normal. There should be over 100 vendors I hear. 
So we'll see you at the Park on Saturday. 

God's blessings on you and yours, 

TTFN

Sam, Bill, Rayven and Jessie




No comments: